Thursday, January 21, 2010

Yellow Bird

She sat on her bed and read the pages she had written:  

"After years of believing in the theory that great art only comes from great sadness, I have very recently come to the realization that life is too short and too vastly beautiful to waste time on such insignificant things as heartache, anguish, frustration and sadness. There are far greater experiences in life, no matter how simple, that have the bewildering capability of making us happy. I believe that happiness - pure undiluted happiness - can be found.
So, this is my life and I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be. And I wonder if anyone is really happy. I hope they are, I really hope they are. It might have made sad sense. Old pictures look very rugged and young. And the people in the photographs always seem a lot happier than you are. I just hope I remember to tell my kids that they are as happy as I look in my old photographs. And I hope that they believe me. Maybe these are my glory days and I'm not even realizing it. And I think this is the first time in my life I ever felt 'happy'. Do you know what I mean? That nice feeling when you look in the mirror and you smile - really smile - for the first time in your life. It was a movie smile in slow motion and then everything was okay. And it was so beautiful because it's okay to feel things and be who you are about them. But I really think that everyone should have watercolors, magnetic poetry and a harmonica because it was like we were someone else. Like we were someplace better. And I know I was never so happy in my whole life. And in that moment...I swear we were infinite."

She believed every word this time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment